Superintendent Powers Suggests Board Schedule Levy in August
Uncertainties at the federal and state levels and the school board's decision to cancel a levy vote in May led Superintendent Kathryn Powers to say she is concerned about the state of the district's finances.
Twinsburg Superintendent Kathryn Powers says she is concerned about the school district's finances because of funding uncertainty on the state and federal level.
Her statement comes as the school board decided Wednesday to cancel a 6.9-mill renewal levy vote scheduled for May. The board canceled the levy after public input and after Gov. John Kasich unveiled an educational funding plan that, if approved as is, would dramatically boost Twinsburg Schools' state funding.
But Powers and many school officials are leery that the state funding boost won't come to pass. That coupled with the decision to cancel the levy has caused Powers to be concerned that the school district will lose the $4.4 million the expiring levy provides the district each year.
Powers said she hopes the board will put the levy on the ballot in August, after the confusion of the district's financial picture clears up.
Powers' full statement:
I would be emiss if I did not share my concern about the state of the District's financial situation given the confusing information released from Gov. John Kasich's office about the proposed education funding plan and the sequestration occuring in Washington D.C.
We currently receive $1.5 million in federal funds that are used to support many of our programs most specifically special education. I am very worried that the reducation or elimination of these funds will significantly impact the services we provide our students as these dollars will need to be replaced by general fund dollars, thus potentially reducing other programs and services.
I would like to thank the members of our community who attended the community forum last Wednesday evening and provided feedback regarding this very important topic.
I respect the decision of the BOE to rescind the renewal levy that was placed on the May 7 ballot especially in light of all the confusion we are currently experiencing with regard to school finances. However, I feel the need to remind the community that the District is dependent upon the $4.4 million generated by this levy.
I am hopeful that the Board of Education will place the renewal levy on the Aug. 6 ballot so that we can continue to provide our students with the very best in educational opportunities.