Friday, April 12, 2013
The information in this report is from the Solon Fire Department.
Twinsburg Firefighters were called to help out in Solon after a home there was struck by lightning Wednesday. Four firefighters from the Twinsburg Fire Department assisted with the fire at 7042 Fox Hill Drive, said William Shaw, the Solon Fire Chief. No one suffered any major injuries. One resident suffered a minor injury from debris, but declined treatment from paramedics. Shaw said that the residents of home reported at 5:13 p.m. Wednesday that their home had been struck by lighting and was on fire. Shaw said the garage was burning when firefighters arrived. The fire was out in about 30 minutes. "Due to the large volume of fire, our first-in personnel made the right call by using a larger hose line," Sha said. "That decision certainly …
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
A Twinsburg couple and their pet bird was able to escape unscathed, reports the Twinsburg Bulletin.
No one was hurt in a gasoline fire started in the garage of a Sherwin Drive home on Saturday, according to the Twinsburg Fire Department. The fire caused roughly $60,000 damage, reports the Twinsburg Bulletin. No one was injured in the blaze and no other homes were damaged in the fire, which occured on Saturday. The fire began as the husband was putting gasoline in his jeep in the garage. A man and a woman and a pet bird escaped the fire. The fire was extinguished and the couple are living elsewhere while damage to their garage and home are repaired, reports the newspaper.
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
The new, proposed agreement would charge Reminderville $48,000 a year for three years
Updated 8:30 p.m. After tabling the subject for several meetings, Twinsburg City Council is approved a new new contract with Reminderville for sharing the police and fire emergency dispatch center Tuesday night. The new contract will span three years charging the village $48,500 a year, starting at the beginning of this year and expiring in December 2014. Reminderville will make the payments on either a quarterly or monthly basis, whichever it prefers. The two communities have shared the service since 2008 and the most recent contract of $32,500 per year expired in December 2011. The last time the contract was discussed at city council, Councilman Bill Furey the price should be raised to match the city's costs. “I think we’re undercharging…
Thursday, April 12, 2012
There is a voluntary recall on a toy exclusively sold at Kohl's.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall on toy truck gifts given with the purchase of boys T-shirts exclusively at Kohl's because one caught fire and three others were smoldering. The toy is battery operated and there have been reports that the battery compartment can smolder or catch the trucks on fire, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers, according to a Fire Service Alert forwarded to Patch by Stow Fire Safety Educator Sandy Ray. No injuries have been reported. This recall involves Big Movers Super Car toy trucks that were gifts with the purchase of Big Movers T-shirts that were sold between February and March. The 4-inch long blue trucks have over-sized tires and a flashing light on top and were …
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
No. 5: Our first installment of the top stories in 2011 looks at the massive industrial fire at Decco Alloys back in September
Editor's Note: We compiled multiple stories from our coverage of the fire and put them all in one for comprehensive coverage. Only one person suffered a minor injury during a major fire that broke out on Sept. 21 at Decco Alloys Inc. on Midway Drive, according to the Twinsburg Fire Department. “We had one person who was slightly injured,” said Lynn Racine, the fire department's public information officer at the blaze. “He was assessed at the scene and he signed off and did not want a transport.” Captain Don Simon said crews were battling the fire from the inside when the roof began to collapse and they were forced to pull out. “It’s all metals, and if anyone knows anything about metals: Dust, aluminum, magnesium; once it gets going, it’s …
Thursday, December 8, 2011
Donations will be accepted at Faith United Methodist Church
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
- Mitch Cooper
Thursday, December 8, 2011
A Twinsburg family needs help after all of their belongings were destroyed in a fire on Wednesday night. The Lawler family's Champion Trail home was heavily damaged and "they lost everything," said Debbie Costa, a secretary at Faith United Methodist Church on Post Road. Faith United Methodist will be the drop-off location for donations to help the Lawlers, including two boys, get back on their feet. Costa said the family is in need of any gifts, toys, gift cards, or anything to help them get them set up in a new place. The family is also in need of clothing, including: Costa said the family has always been helpful to others, now the community is giving back. "We're already getting lots of calls," Costa said. "People are jumping into action…
One firefighter was treated for a moderate injury and was released
There were no severe injuries after a house fire on Champion Trail on Wednesday night. The Twinsburg Fire Department was called to 2289 Champion Trail at 6:45 p.m. for a two-story house fire, according to a press release. Firefighters couldn't initially find the source of the fire, until a crew from Reminderville re-entered the house from the basement. The fire rapidly expanded and extended through the ceiling, into the first floor, Chief Richard Racine said. There was heavy fire damage on all three floors of the house, as well as "extensive heat and smoke damage." The family who owned the home had come back to find the house on fire, but no one was hurt. According to the report, one firefighter sustained a moderate injury during the fire …
Monday, December 5, 2011
Fire Chief Richard Racine sent in photos from Friday morning's fire
Twinsburg Fire Chief Richard Racine shared photos from the house fire on Stone Creek Lane, which broke out in the early-morning hours on Friday, Dec. 2. In an email, Racine shared the following: Here is what happens too often once fresh air is introduced into a closed up building on fire. This is also why we discourage people not dressed for firefighting from opening doors and/or windows prior to us being there. In this particular fire, the room with the flames coming out of it was the occupants bedroom, which was in the basement at this point in the fire and the floor just inside the front door was in the process of collapsing as it was already sunken about three inches. Pictures taken by Earl Wilson, who was the pump operator on the …
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Check out this week's headlines
It's been another busy week, including our in-depth series on the potential cuts in the school district, that has come and gone with some major new developments in the news world of Twinsburg. Twinsburg Patch brings you the news recap for this week: Brush up on our series on the school district's budget crunch: Look for the series to continue this Monday when we discuss the options in personnel reductions. Other news: That's just a quick recap of the big stories. Don't forget about our Announcements page, Events calendar, Local Voices blogs, and our newly revamped "Places" business directory listing for more Twinsburg news and information.
Friday, December 2, 2011
Fire Chief Richard Racine said the woman's home is condemned
A Twinsburg woman went to the hospital but is just fine after an early morning fire at her Stone Creek Lane home, said Fire Chief Richard Racine. Racine said his department got a call just before 1 a.m. Friday morning for a fire at 1737 Stone Creek Lane. The name of the resident was unavailable. The woman, in her early 60s, was the only resident of the home and was sent to the emergency room as a precaution, but is okay. She is staying one of the hotels in Twinsburg until she finds a place to stay. "We just took her in because she had gotten excited about the fire," Racine said. "Which is understandable." Racine said the house was in a row of condominium units. While her home is now condemned, Racine said none of the other adjacent …